Monday 1 June 2015

The Real Benefits of Walking

Since I'd been on and off from work due to recurrent chest infection and asthma, I couldn't really do vigorous or any cardio exercises as I got too short of breath. I could not even walk my dog as I couldn't manage to get any far.
 
However, as I felt a little better, I started walking my dog again. I started from 10-15 minutes walk a day then increase the length of time by 5 minutes every other day. Nowadays I can walk and play with my dog for up to forty minutes! I know it doesn't sound much, especially for a 26 year old woman, but I'm still in the process of recovering. I guess it's just a matter of gauging your capabilities and not pushing yourself too much. What important is we must always be ready to take our 'first step' towards good health.
 
So c'mon, let's start walking!
 
Benefits of walking:
  • It can be enjoyed by people of all ages
  • Not an intense or too vigorous way of exercising - do it on your own pace!
  • A study shows that 30 minutes moderate to intense walking can result to expenditure of around 207 calories
  • You can enjoy some beautiful or interesting sceneries along the way
  • You can enjoy a good company (with a pet or a friend)
  • Walking can help you make mindful choices in your life
"Above all, do not lose your desire to walk. Everyday, I walk myself into a state of well-being & walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it." - Soren Kierkegaard
 
My angel Tia Maria on our walk through the woods

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flying to the Philippines

I was quite anxious flying back to the Philippines for my AIDF programme. It was my first time flying alone and I'm not too keen on plan...