Saturday 23 September 2017

Two books I've been reading this week

I haven't posted anything else apart from promoting my debut pamphlet and I thought I should definitely give an update on other 'literary'-related things. So I'd like to share what I'm currently reading. I'm not really a 'fast' reader, I cannot devour a book (or even a pamphlet) in one sitting. Truthfully (and this may sound weird) I'd like to be connected longer with a book, to really savour my 'relationship' with it, and revel on its ideas/words/stories/facts. These are 2 books that I'm currently reading:
Image result for do no harm
 
 
Marsh's Do No Harm is an award-winning book that shows how it's like to be a surgeon who operates on people's brain. I love Marsh's revelation of his unique experience as a surgeon, the drama behind each patient and the complexities of a surgical case. As someone who works in a medical field, I can really relate to this. I love that part where Marsh was in a supermarket queue and was on the verge of asking people in front of him: And what did YOU do today? (paraphrase)That sense of self-importance that soon disappered as he realised that he was only as important as the lives of the people on whom he operated (paraphrase). I guess that at one point or another, I did feel that way too - I did think that just because I helped/resuscitated/took care/healed people, I must be so valuable. Nope. That's not really the case in real life.
 
 
 
Mama Amazonica (Paperback)

My mentor's book, Mama Amazonica, of course! I do not need to elaborate how great this book is and the fact that Pascale is a living legend. Pascale Petit is my mentor for Jerwood/Arvon, but for me not to be 'biased', I'll let this review tell you how good Mama Amazonica truly is. Also, Mama Amazonica is the Poetry Book Society's Autumn Choice! My favourite poems in the collection so far: Mama Amazonica, Jaguar Girl, Black Caiman with Butterflies, and more.

 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Flying to the Philippines

I was quite anxious flying back to the Philippines for my AIDF programme. It was my first time flying alone and I'm not too keen on plan...